Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Fact #3 about Denmark: Danes and karting mania

Today we had one of the best team building events at work. All of us headed for a karting race in Copenhagen and raced there in teams of two for about 3 hours. It was the first time I ever tried the go-karts. Bumper cars and racing against children in small karts doesn’t count.

Anyway, although in real life I am a really sucky driver, to my great surprise I was quite good at karting. Probably because speeding and bumping into others was OK here. And I also suspect the fact that there weren’t any distractions along the lap also helped, most of my accidents on the road were because I got distracted by something else Smile.

But continuing along the title of this post, all the Danes in my team were really good. It seems karting is a big hobby in Copenhagen and people are doing it on a regular basis. There are even special clubs at work places for people to join and go kart racing every other week. It’s a bit ironic I thought as most of the Danes and Danish government advocate (actually the government enforces it through their huge taxes on cars) for less and less cars.

The kart racing is also pretty expensive as most things in Denmark, but usually if there’s a club at work for this, the company will pay for part of the expense.

So, yes, a really fun event today, did not love the (a bit) dirty suits and heavy helmets very much but at least it was better than the last event where we had to wear sumo wrestlers suits Smile